Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Channeling Mercado San Pedro

I think last night I had a dream about Mercado San Pedro...one of my very favorite parts of Cusco that I miss terribly. Mercado San Pedro is more than a locals market - it contains anything you could possibly need to survive, and at ridiculously cheap prices. There are different sections for fresh juice, cooked food, produce, dry goods, meats, artisan goods, and any service you can imagine. I got my backpack stitched up there for the equivalent of $1. The tradition of San Pedro is of course, JUGO (juice). There are several rows of juice ladies - all smiling down at you from their elevated platforms, smiling in an attempt to seduce you to their booth. Each one has their own special blend of fresh fruits, vegetables and secret ingredients - but my favorite gal was #56: Rina. Rina was the cutest little woman ever, and she always made way too much juice for any one person to be able to drink in one sitting, so I would usually share one with a friend - usually Aiden or Lulue.

Popping in for a jugo at Sen Pedro is one of the things I just can't seem to replace here in the states. I woke up and was delighted to discover the Papaya I had purchased last weekend in my fridge. So I decided to try to satisfy my San Pedro craving here at home. The result was a very inspired, delicious, and very nutritious breakfast.

My juice included:

1/2 Med. Papaya
6 Strawberries
1 Med. Banana
1 Tbsp. Raw Honey
1/2 C. Cultured Coconut Milk (Plain)



I am drinking my last few sips and tempted to make another batch...Mercado San Pedro it is not, but I got to nourish my soul, heart and body by preparing myself such a healthy meal, and giving myself a chance to reflect on such a beautiful part of my experience in Peru...more to come...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment